Sunday, February 21, 2010

Face to Face, Chris Walker, 2009

What can I say?
I was young and foolish,
Following the teachings of those
I thought I could trust.

Day to day I listened,
To them speak the words
they thought I should know.

Day to Day, I gathered what they spoke,
Never questioning,
Never thinking,
Never knowing the truth
Hidden inside the words I heard.

They told me stories of happiness and eternal joys,
Of riches beyond a mans imagination,
and the pain that would be felt no more.

So I beleived.
I'm sure I did.
I read and sang,
I knelt and spoke to the wind,
The words I thought I should say.

I did the things the others did.
I saw them happy,
Speaking of the joys,
It had brought them.
So I beleived, I'm sure I did.

Day by day,
I read and sang,
I did the things the others did,
But hope began to drain.

I did the things the others did,
Not for myself,
It held no hope,
No joy,
No eternal promises,
Any longer.

So I did the things the others did,
Not for myself,
But just for them.
They see the face I gave them.
They see the face I created,
Just for them.

But day by day,
That face grows weak,
And to keep it up,
Every minute,
Of every hour,
Of every day.
Hurts more than I had ever thought.

So pain by pain,
I hide the truth,
And count the days,
Til they see the truth.

Chris Walker, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment